Spanish Department Resources
- Spanish Department Bylaws [PDF]
- Spanish Department Degree Requirements
- Approved 2016 [PDF]
- Spanish Degree Checklists
- Foreign Language Reading Exam Guidelines
- Spanish Graduate Handbook [html]
- Mentoring Guidelines - The UC Davis Graduate Council adopted faculty/student mentoring guidelines, revised in 2016. These guidelines explain what mentoring is and the expectations faculty and students should have of one another. [PDF]
- Variable unit course request form [html]
- Description of TA/AI Duties SPA 1-3
- Description of TA/AI Duties 2V, 3V (virtual learning), 2Y, 3Y, 21Y, 22Y (web-based)
- Description of TA/AI Duties SPA 21-22
- Description of TA/AI Duties SPA 23-24
- Description of TA/AI Duties SPA 31-33
- Description of TA/AI Duties POR 1-3
- Description of TA/AI Duties POR 21-23
- Description of TA/AI/Reader Duties BLANK (for jobs not listed above)
- Graduate Student Employment Handbook for TAs/AIs - available at https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/faculty-staff/reports-publications/guides-handbooks
UC Employment Policy
- Policies for hiring graduate students, including employment limits: Academic Personnel Manual Appendix II-B http://manuals.ucdavis.edu/apm/II-B.htm
- Eligibility Checklist - Must be completed prior to each quarter you are to be employed or receive a fellowship https://langlit.ucdavis.edu/forms/grad-student-eligibility-checklist
- Sproul Hall Information for Grad Students
- Important Links for UC Davis Graduate Students (Sorted by category, use "ctrl F" to search by keyword)
- Computing Resources
- The Center for Educational Effectiveness (CEE) TA Orientation
- The Office of Graduate Studies Orientation
- Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) Orientation for international students
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply for a travel award? See Appendix 4 of the graduate student handbook for instructions. Here is a sample request letter: Travel stipend request letter template [.doc]. Email travel requests to Maria Ruby at email@example.com
- How do I get credit (units) for my work as a TA? 50% TAs may sign up for 4 units of SPA 396. Visit grad staff offices for the CRN. Make sure to sign up for the section led by your TA Supervisor.
- How do I sign up for an independent study (SPA 299) since I've completed my coursework? Visit grad staff offices for the CRN and complete this variable unit course request form when you meet with the instructor. You must enroll in sisweb using the CRN.
- What form(s) of ID do I need to be hired? You need 1 document from list A or 1 document from list B and 1 document from list C (see page 9). International Students, make sure to bring your i-20 or DS-2019 as well: I-9 Acceptable Documents.
- Am I eligible for financial assistance for Childcare costs? See http://www.hr.ucdavis.edu/worklife-wellness/Life/childcare/?searchterm=c... for information on the different childcare subsidies to learn which one(s) you may qualify for.
- How do I petition to count a course from another university toward my PhD at UC Davis? You may NOT apply to transfer a course until you've completed one year in the graduate program. Then you must write a petition letter addressed to the graduate committee, append your course syllabus & final paper if the request is for a graduate seminar substitution (as opposed to a foreign language requirement), and bring them both to Mandy. Here is a sample letter: sample petition letter [.doc]
- I plan to take a course similar to one of the Spanish Ph.D. requirements. Is it possible to have it count for that requirement? You must write a petition letter addressed to the graduate committee requesting a course substitution, append your course syllabus, and bring them both to Mandy.
- How do I arrange a foreign language reading exam to fulfill one of my language requirements? Ask Mandy what professor to contact based on the particular language. These are the foreign language reading exam guidelines for Spanish Students: http://spanish.ucdavis.edu/sites/spanish.ucdavis.edu/files/attachments/foreign_language_reading_exam_guidelines.pdf [pdf]. Read through them and get an idea of some texts that are relevant to your research before contacting the professor. Once the professor has approved your texts and you’ve arranged a time with him or her, let Mandy know and she will reserve the room in which you will take the exam.
- MA Comprehensive Exam FAQs [pdf]
- PhD Qualifying Exam FAQs [pdf]